Bishop Alemany Scholarships
Bishop Alemany High School is Committed to a quality Catholic education. In keeping with our mission, "a community enriched by faith that develops intellectually prepared men and women," we are committed to offer incoming freshmen the following merit scholarships:
- Students who score in the 90th percentile or above on the High School Placement Test (HSPT) composite and who test at Bishop Alemany High School
- 3.5 or above Academic GPA-8th grade year (no grade lower than a B)
- Positive recommendations from both Math and English Instructors (online form to be emailed to the instructors through the applicants admissions portal)
- Principal letter of recommendation
- Once enrolled, they must take at least 3 honors classes during their 9th grade year
*Alemany Honors Award:
- Students who score in the 75th percentile to 89th percentile on the High School Placement Test (HSPT) composite and who test at Bishop Alemany High School
- 3.5 or Academic GPA-8th grade year (no grade lower than a B)
- Once enrolled, they must take at least 2 honors classes during their 9th grade year
- Student whose parent(s) attended Bishop Alemany High School
- 3.0 or higher Academic GPA-8th grade year (no grade lower than a C)
*Scholarship Awards are renewable each year, providing the student maintains an acceptable level of academic achievement and contributes in positive ways to the School community.
Bishop Alemany Band & Orchestra Award:
- Students will audition for one of the following: Brass & Woodwinds, Percussion, Strings & Harp (Auditions will be required on Saturday, February 8,2020. Please contact Mrs. Kennedy for details.**) See attachment below for audition requirements.
- Three students per section, will be awarded scholarships
- After four years at Bishop Alemany, two students are selected to attend LEAP (Leadership, Excellence, Accelerating, and Potential) camp at UCLA, for one week the summer after their senior year. This prestigious camp is a week-long leadership program for high school and college students. Each year, 400 students from over 40 countries around the globe travel to attend a full week dedicated to helping young adults uncover the "real-life" skills needed to achieve great success.
- Scholarship is renewable each year, providing the student maintains an acceptable level of performance and contributes in positive ways to the School community
**Contact Mrs. Shaniee Kennedy, Director of Music, to schedule an audition. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bishop Alemany Visual Arts Award:
This scholarship is for incoming 9th grade students who have shown interest in the Visual Arts, which include drawing, painting, and sculpture/ceramics.
- Interview at Bishop Alemany High School***
- Students must bring 5 works of art that demonstrate the student's skill and knowledge in art. All media accepted.
- Short written statement (250 words) (select ONE topic)
- How art has influenced your life.
- Where do you see your future in the arts?
- Have you taken any art classes outside of school? What have you learned that has helped you as an artist?
- What two artists have influenced you? Explain how.
- Letter of recommendation from teacher, art teacher, professional art tutor, or artist
- Due date for written materials: February 1, 2020
- Students receiving a scholarship must maintain an A- in art classes, and stay in the Visual Art program for all 4 years at Bishop Alemany to maintain the scholarship.
- Course of study for 4 years:
- 9th grade-Advanced Art
- 10th grade-Independent study (Drawing/Painting OR Sculpture OR Ceramics)
- 11th grade-Advanced Art II or Advanced Ceramics
- 12th grade-AP Studio Art 2-D OR AP Studio Drawing
***Contact Mrs. Charlotte Mullich, Visual & Performing Arts Department Chair to schedule an interview.