DANCE A/B - ONE YEAR COURSE - ART REQUIREMENT
Course Title: Dance A & B
Length of Course: One Year
Supplementary Materials: Videos of Performances, Journal work, Oral reports & dance.
This course is designed to provide an introduction to the basic elements of the dance, body movement, physical coordination, choreography & music interpretation with an emphasis on performance. Student will gain an understanding of dance through traditional, cultural and contemporary dance styles. Through viewing of dance documentaries, movies, reading, note taking, journals, and performances, students will be introduced to the influence of dance throughout history. Students will gain the skills to analyze and interpret works of dance and the performances of dancers based on standards, principles and cultural context.
- To develop a core of knowledge in the terminology of dance, choreography, and concepts in dance and the performance arts. (Standard 1)
- To develop communications and movement skills that include body awareness, motor control and multi sensory awareness. (Standard 1)
- To develop an appreciation of dance in historical and contemporary cultures throughout the world. (Standard 3)
- To create and communicate meaning through dance, improvisation, original composition and performance. (Standard 1 & 3)
- To develop a sense of originality, teamwork and creativity necessary to produce a dance performance. (Standard 1 & 3)
- To develop expanded avenues for communication and self-expression in the dance and the performance arts. (Standard 1)
- To develop the skills, knowledge and standards to analyze, interpret and evaluate works of dance and the performance of dancers based on standards through critical analysis. (Standard 4)
- To develop skills in problem solving, communication skills, management of time, usage of resources and material. (Standard 5)
- To develop an understanding of the connection between dance, society, culture and individuals. (Standard 5)
Literature: Dance Terminology- vocabulary will be given throughout the semester and students will be tested on the definition and the movement that accompanies it.
Style of dance: You will be learning a variety of dance styles such as Jazz, Contemporary/Lyrical, Broadway, and Hip-Hop. You will also be given the chance to make up your own choreography.
Recital: Students are required to participate in the dance recital at the end of the semester for their final grade. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Spring Semester: Tuesday, May 22nd 7:00pm- Alemany Gym
Appropriate work-out clothes--- black yoga pants, black leggings and an Alemany t-shirt; OR PE Uniform and tennis shoes with laces
***IPads will be used throughout the year. We will not be using them every day so please make sure to leave them in your backpack, locked up in your locker!!!
~dress in their work out clothes
~come to class on time and prepared.
~returning from an excused absence, students are responsible for the work they have missed.
~must participate in class exercise. Merely attending the class without actively participating in the exercises will not be satisfactory. YOU ARE GRADED ON YOUR PARTICIPATION!!!
* Students will be tested on vocabulary and movement that accompanies the word.
* Students will be evaluated on the routines that they have learned in class.
* Students are given a grade everyday on participation and whether or not they change into their workout clothes. (Each day students can earn 10 points- 5 for changing clothes & 5 for participating)
~Students will behave in a mature, respectful manner at all times.
~No food or drink (including gum!) are allowed in the dance room.
~Each behavioral problem is addressed on an individual basis.
~All rules in the student handbook are strictly enforced.
~THE ALEMANY HONOR CODE IS UPHELD IN THIS CLASSROOM.
Bishop Alemany High School Mission Statement: Bishop Alemany strives to develop a community of intellectually accomplished persons who are conscientious leaders and morally courageous agents of peace and justice.